Thursday, December 9, 2010

Impulse Buys

Some folks want something so desperatly, they do not think through their purchases.

I wanted a Westfalia camper van for a long time, but thinking out the scenario where I did not have parking, using the van only seldom I decided against it.


Now my neighbor got an exact van I was thinking about.

He is in the same shoes as me and he is parking on the street. At least once a week he needs to move the van for street cleaning, keep it insured, registered. He needs to WORRY about it.

I want to have the least amount of things on my mind. Everything I bought on impulse I usually regretted later and lost money in the long run.

Now-days I try my best to take time to think through my big purchases.

I don't buy new unless there is a significant benefit to it. New car? No way. New bicycle? Maybe, especially if I want something special and the price is right. But usually, with enough patience, you can always find the same item on the market again and again, and as the item gets older the deal gets sweeter.

Transportation does not appreciate as it ages, and that includes bicycles as well.

So I would advice to hold your horses on that new purchase and wait out for a special deal. I am glad I do, and money in the bank feels so much better than a debt on a credit card.

My yoga teacher kept on saying "No hurry". It is so true in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment